Friday, September 21, 2012

Old Bananas...

I really like bananas. But apparently I'm the only one in my family. (Chris will eat them but only if they're still really green and bitter. Weird, I know) So I'll buy a few with really great intentions of eating them in an attempt to be healthy.... but I'll eat one, maybe two and then forget about the rest. And then I end up with this:
How frustrating is that? :(
(the one in the back had been in my freezer for about a week...) 

Now I am not one to just throw things away, so I had to come up with another solution. As I was perusing through some lovely bread recipes I came across this recipe and decided it was the perfect opportunity to put these little guys to good use.


Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3) * I didn't even bother mashing them before I threw them in, I let the mixer do all the work... and saved myself from washing another bowl. :)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (I used semisweet, but I'm thinking next time I'll try white chocolate chips... )

1. Preheat the oven to 350* and coat an 8x4in pan with cooking spray
2. Combine sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl. Mix until combined. Add bananas and vanilla and mix well. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix in at a low speed (you don't want a big mess!). Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Enjoy!




Simple enough, right? And honestly, I'm not the best breadmaker around, but this turned out QUITE nicely! The neighbors enjoyed it and so did I. I had a hard time getting my boys to dig in, though... I guess it's a guy thing. I'm pretty sure you could bake just about anything and as long as there was chocolate involved I would jump in line to give it a try!



The perfect little snack. It's even healthy... kind of. ;)
Just look at those gooey/melty/wonderful chocolate chips! Oh yeah...


No comments:

Post a Comment